Located in the hills above the Rose Hall Great House, amongst trees of mahogany, pimento and other local varieties, sits the Cinnamon Hill Great House. A beautiful house with equisite proportions commanding a full view of the coast. The house presents a warm, welcoming charm as one approaches its gates.
Samuel Barrett (Jr.) owned Cornwall and Cinnamon Hill estates in St James, started building the Cinnamon Hill Great House but died before it was finished. He died in 1760 at Cinnamon Hill and is buried in the graveyard on the property. The building was completed by Edward Barrett, his fourth son of 15 children, in 1784. Edward became one of Jamaica’s wealthiest and most influential planters. It was his generation of Barretts and their children that played a significant role in the birth of Falmouth. It is also from the family lineage that the famous poet, Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861) sprung.
The property in more recent times was the home of Johnny Cash, the country and western singer, for 30 years. It is now open to the public for tours operated through Rose Hall. The house is preserved just as it was when the Johnny and his wife lived there and presents an intimate glimpse into to how they lived. It is almost like Johnny and June had just left for the weekend, with their furiniture and other personal effects such as a pair of Johnny's shoes shoved in a corner, family portraits hanging on the walls, and personal mementos lining the shelves.
The Cinnamon Hill Great House is one of the few that survived the 1831 slave revolt, which destroyed most of the great houses on the island. Only a handful are left out of the more than 700 that existed. It is these riots that brought the horrors of slavery to the attention of the British public, helping to lead to its abolition.
The original house consisted of the single-story portion to the left of the picture above (west). It was constructed of cut stone and contains the dining and living room.
The two-story portion to east (right), was added later in the century between 1780 and 1785. It contains a sitting room and several bedrooms. The kitchen today, is also located in this wing, but would have been a separate building from the main house when it was first built. Kitchens in that period were generally built as a separate structure from the main house to prevent the risk of fires as well as reduce the heat in the main house.
There is a large verandah to the front and the rear of the house. The front verandah would have provided an excellent view of the ocean.
The rear verandah faces the main gate to the back of the house and wraps around the house on the west side where it meets a hurricane shelter.
The hurricane shelter was created by a countoured wall and roof on the north-west corner that juts away from the house for several yards to an apex where it then sharply doubles back on itself towards the house creating a triangular structure with 2 sides in the yard and the third adjoining the house.
The odd shape helps break the hurricane winds.
Inside of the Hurricane Shelter.
The internal room of the shelter was converted by Johnny cash into a bathroom.
The floors throughout the house are made of hardwood, which is likely mahogany, stained red and polished to a very high sheen. The build up of polish over the years have totally filled the joints between the boards in places. This presents the effect of a mixture of smaller boards ajoined to larger planks aged with imperfections, creating a charming overall effect of warmth.
The staircase in the two-storey wing is made of hardwood. The walls up the stairs are the same dark brown color and wood as the balustrade. The steps by contrast are stained and polished to the same red color and sheen as the floors found throughout the house, creating a beautiful contrast to the darker colors of the wooden casement, balusters and handrail.
The dining room runs the full depth of the house, from front to back, with the drawing room off to the western side (part of the single story) and a sitting room off to the east, the start of the two-storey
A separate detached building to the southeastern corner of the house was used by June Carter, Johnny's wife, as a sewing room.
Pictured above: The Sewing Room.
June Carter was an avid seamstress.
The first Barrett, Hersey Barrett (also spelled Hercie in some other references), settled in Jamaica in the 1660s after being granted lands by the King of England for his service in the British Navy. He was an officer in the unsuccessful raid of Hispaniola (current island of Haiti and the Dominican Republic), led by Admiral William Penn and General Robert Venables in 1655. Later that same year, being much less fortified, Jamaica was captured by the British from the Spaniards and Hersey Barrett was granted lands in Jamaica, by the King of England.
Hersey Barrett had two sons; Hersey who was born in 1650 in England, and Samuel, born in Jamaica in 1662 and the patriarch of the family lines of Barretts in Jamaica. Samuel died at the age of 32, in the battle with the French at Carlisle Bay on the south coast of Clarendon. His son, Samuel Barrett Jr. started building the Cinnamon Hill house but died before it was completed. The house was completed by his son, Edward Barrett. For more information about the Barrett family see the family tree link below.
Edward "The Builder" Barrett completed the Great House at Cinnamon Hill and established the Barrett family fortune on the north side of Jamaica. He expanded the family land holdings to 10,000 acres with the Cinnanmon Hill, Oxford and Cambridge Estate in St James. He played a significant role in the birth of Falmouth. The parish of Trelawny was carved out of portions of St James and St Ann, and the capital at that time was the village of Martha Brae, about a mile and a half upriver. The location of the capital was not ideal for trade, so a decision was made to establish a seaport on lands owned by Edward. The seaport was named Falmouth, after Falmouth in England where Governor Trelawny was born. It soon became recognized as a major port of entry, clearance and freeport (open to all traders), like Montego Bay further west. It replaced Martha Brae village as the Capital of Trelawny in 1790.
Cash writes about Cinnamon Hill:
The Original Article from the Jamaica Courant, Saturday March 23rd, 1833.